Man charged in Gatineau River hit and run conditionally released


An Orléans man has been conditionally released from custody after being charged in connection with a personal watercraft hit and run that left an Ottawa woman with life-threatening injuries.


The Sûreté du Québec arrested 43-year-old Robin Golby on Wednesday.

He appeared in a Gatineau, Que., courtroom Thursday afternoon just before 12:30 p.m. to face charges of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily harm, failing to stop at the scene, and criminal negligence causing bodily harm.

He was released from custody on his own recognizance, and his next court appearance has been set for Aug. 6 in Maniwaki, Que. 

“There’s a question of jurisdiction in Quebec,” said criminal prosecutor Marie-Josée Genest.

“The [trial] will take place in the jurisdiction where the offence took place.”

Victim still in hospital

The incident happened July 1 on the Gatineau River near Bouchette, Que., about 100 kilometres north of Gatineau.

Casey Delaney, 26, was floating on a large inflatable party island with several other people at the time.

Police say two people on personal watercrafts approached the group, and one the drivers performed a manoeuvre to splash the people on the inflatable island.

Delaney was hit in the head and rushed to hospital in Ottawa with serious injuries.

Robin Golby, 43, has been charged in connection with the July 1 hit and run that took place on the Gatineau River. (Submitted by Michel Patry)

Delaney remains in hospital in stable condition, according to her sister, Kristin Delaney, who said her family is optimistic that Casey is on the road to recovery.

Kristin Delaney also extended her thanks to the community for its “overwhelming” support.

“It’s hard for me to even put into words how much it means to us and how it’s helped us through this — of course — very difficult time,” she said.

The family has “full confidence” in the police and justice system, she said.

“We’re confident that this matter will be handled as effectively as possible.”

Conditions of release

Golby is required to pay a $500 deposit, keep the peace, be present in court as required and reside at his own address.

He is also under orders not to have any contact with Casey Delaney and the people who were on the river at the time, as well as their immediate family members.

Golby was ordered to surrender his driver’s licence before being released and is prohibited from operating a motor vehicle or being in the driver’s seat of any motor vehicle.

Golby and his lawyer both declined to comment as they left the courthouse.

The Department of National Defence has confirmed Golby is a corporal in the Canadian Armed Forces, where he works as storekeeper and driver.

A department spokesperson did not say whether Golby will hold onto his job while the judicial process runs its course.